Explosive atmospheres – Part 17: Electrical installations inspection and maintenance
- other fundamental installation and inspection requirements for electrical installations;
- the verification of electrical equipment;
- the repair and reclamation of explosion protected equipment (see IEC 60079-19).
This standard supplements the requirements of IEC 60364-6.
In the case of dusts, fibres or flyings the level of housekeeping may influence the inspection and maintenance requirements.
This standard is intended to be applied where there can be a risk due to the presence of explosive gas or dust mixtures with air or compustible dust layers under normal atmospheric conditions. It does not apply to:
- underground mining areas,
- dusts of explosives that do not require atmospheric oxygen for combustion,
- pyrophoric substances.
This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition published in 2007 and constitutes a technical revision. The significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition are as follows:
- Equipment specific inspection tables for luminaires, heating systems and motors have been added into Annex A to supplement the general protection concept tables;
- Document has been updated to complement the changes made to IEC 60079-14 for initial inspection.