Standard for a Fire Service Vehicle Operations Training Program, 2013 Edition
Revised with updated requirements, the 2013 edition of NFPA 1451: Standard for a Fire Service Vehicle Operations Training Program specifies the minimum requirements for a fire and emergency service vehicle operations training program (except for aircraft, watercraft, and law enforcement), including safety procedures for those members who drive or occupy fire and emergency service vehicles.
NFPA 1451 emphasizes safety considerations in all areas, including for:
- Fire departments
- Other emergency service organizations that respond to emergencies
New in the 2013 edition:
- An added section on training for hazard prevention including EMS, with checklists
- Added training for additional safety systems such as antilock brakes (ABS), vehicle stability, and traffic control systems
- A change in the highway safety incident section to meet the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
- Requirement for SOPs on other means of transportation such as ATVs and bikes
NFPA 1451 also guides the development of a written training program including the organizational procedures for training, vehicle maintenance, and identifying equipment deficiencies. It’s essential for fire and emergency services data management and recordkeeping staff.